The Teacher Education Assistance for www.skygeneration.ca College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is a federal grant program that provides financial assistance to students who are studying to become teachers in high-need fields. TEACH Grants are available to undergraduate and graduate students who attend accredited colleges and universities in the United States.
To be eligible for a TEACH Grant, students must:
- Be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Be enrolled in a TEACH Grant-eligible program at an accredited college or university
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Agree to teach full-time for at least four years in a high-need field at a low-income elementary or secondary school, or at an educational service agency that serves low-income students
High-need fields include:
- Foreign languages
- Bilingual education
- English language acquisition
- Special education
- Reading specialist
Benefits of the TEACH Grant:
- The TEACH Grant can help students to pay for the cost of their education, including tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
- The TEACH Grant does not have to be repaid, as long as the student fulfills their teaching obligation.
- The TEACH Grant can be used in conjunction with other financial aid programs, such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans.
How to apply for the TEACH Grant:
To apply for the TEACH Grant, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). On the FAFSA, students should indicate that they are interested in the TEACH Grant.
Once the FAFSA is submitted, the student’s college or university will determine their eligibility for the TEACH Grant. If the student is eligible, they will be required to sign a TEACH Grant Agreement. This agreement states that the student agrees to teach full-time for at least four years in a high-need field at a low-income elementary or secondary school, or at an educational service agency that serves low-income students.
If the student does not fulfill their teaching obligation, the TEACH Grant will be converted into a loan and the student will be required to repay the loan plus interest. However, there are some exceptions to this requirement, such as if the student becomes disabled or if the student is unable to find a teaching job in a high-need field.
The TEACH Grant is a valuable financial aid program that can help students to pay for the cost of their education and to become teachers in high-need fields. If you are interested in learning more about the TEACH Grant, visit the Federal Student Aid website or talk to your college or university financial aid office.
Image: A group of students studying to become teachers in a classroom
The TEACH Grant is a great opportunity for students who are interested in becoming teachers in high-need fields. It is important to note that the TEACH Grant has a teaching obligation, but there are some exceptions to this requirement. If you are considering applying for the TEACH Grant, be sure to talk to your college or university financial aid office to learn more about the program and to see if you are eligible.